PE & Sports Funding
All pupils participate in PE lessons each week. We are able to provide swimming lessons for every child from reception to year 6 throughout the year at Garstang Swimming Pool. PE is taught by PE staff or coaches and we are able to use our Sports Premium money to further train 2 members of staff to enhance their skills.
Indoor PE is taught in the school hall. We have a full range of gym equipment including mats, boxes, a gym horse, climbing frame and ropes. Outdoor PE is taught using the large playground or our extensive field area. Last year we invested in an orienteering course utilising the school grounds, woodland and churchyard.
Pupils in Years 3 and 4 also benefit from working with our small schools cluster to meet with their peers from other small schools at Nateby Gym which is a purpose built professional training gym for the coaching of gymnastic skills.
Our ‘Gifted and Talented ‘Provision also allows us to identify pupils who would benefit from meeting with their peers and working together to develop skills in PE further. This year the focus will be ball skills.
Calder Vale School participate in numerous competitive sporting events throughout the year including:
- indoor and outdoor football
- indoor and outdoor high 5 netball
- indoor and outdoor athletics
- table tennis
- tag rugby
- swimming gala
- cross country running
- Bikeability: where our Year 6 pupils join with their friends from Scorton CE Primary to undertake Safer Cycling Proficiency each year. The children learn how to maintain and care for their bikes, safe cycling techniques and how to cycle on roads with traffic.
Sports Premium Grant
The Sports Premium Grant has enabled us to provide added depth and variety of PE provision at Calder Vale Primary School.
We are very fortunate to have different areas around our school where children can be active during their playtimes. The nature area provides a natural environment where children can den build and enjoy running in the woodland space. The grassed area provides space for using the trim track and a small football pitch. On the playground children enjoy using the smaller play equipment, balls, hoops and target games as well as playing netball and basketball.
A copy of our review of the previous year (2017/2018) and plans for spending our Sports Premium this year (2018/2019) is attached here.
The school is working to ensure that the improvements are sustainable by:
- ensuring that training is shared across all staff
- planning for PE skills to be used across the curriculum, including healthy lunchtime food, snacks, understanding of health in science etc.
- creating a ‘Keep fit, Stay fit’ ethos that includes the use of Pupil Playtime Leaders to encourage participation in active playtimes and lunchtimes
- Maths of the Day – a cross curricular active Maths programme
- Relax Kids Coaching- helping our pupils to develop strategies for good mental health and wellbeing.
- working with other schools and the local high school to ensure pupils have healthy attitudes when they transfer to key stage 3
- working with experienced key stage 3 staff and external coaches to provide quality teaching experiences and a wide range of sports activities to engage all pupils.